Saturday, May 13, 2023

Radicchio


 Radicchio was once thought of as a cure for insomnia and a blood purifier by Pliny the Elder who wrote many a note on the natural world. Me, I just thought it was fancy cabbage, but it's a kind of chicory. I'm not sure what chicory is on that level, but it comes in green, purple, and yellow and I mostly see the purple because I think the green is just normal greens. 

This will add a splash of color to your salad without being as strong in flavor as red cabbage. This is important because red and purple vegetables contain compounds that fight cancer. I really don't want to get cancer so adding this every now and again is a good idea. 

I can't say it replaces cabbage but I'm more a fan of the light green cabbage than the dark red and purple kind.  

This hasn't a whole lot of flavor to it, but I rather like it anyway. 

No comments:

Post a Comment